Sunday, June 04, 2006

Table for three.....

You know those quiz things you do where you get asked to "Name five famous people [living or dead] who you would like to have dinner with and why?"blah-blah-blah.....yeah, well I've done a few of those before and always struggle trying to think of "who". I can just never think of anybody at the time.

Well today, when I don't have one of those quiz thingies taking up room on my desktop, I discovered TWO people I would luve to sit around the dinner table chatting with!!

The first one is the French Novellist George Sand (Amandine-Aurore-Lucile Dupin). What an amazing-amazing woman she was and I can't believe I haven't heard of her before today! I watched a doco on her life on the ABC this arvo - then had to jump straight on to Google to find out more.

Then...then later on this afternoon, I was stuck in traffic and tuned into ABC Radio and there speaking was my second dinner guest!! Robert Maurice Lipson Winston - the guy from the "Your Life in their Hands" series. I always thought he was just a guy who did a great television series but he's not just that at all! He's this really cool scientist dude that's written books and stuff and is a member of Parliment in Britain and everything! And he speaks sooooooo beautifully.

At first I thought it was Sir Ian McKellen, because he has that way with the english language as well - I could listen to both of them for ever I reckon.

Anyhow, back to my dinner guests.....

George Sand was a femnist before the word was even coined, so yeah...I want to sit down and talk with this woman. I just imagine how difficult it must have been for her to "walk" in a man's world the way she did back then. She wasn't "beautiful" but she was full of courage and wonderful philosophies on life. I'm so glad that her life has be documented. It's women like her that give women like me so much to learn from.

Robert Winston, well, aside from having such a wonderful grasp of the english language, he has some very interesting thoughts on science and God that make sense to me - I want to know more!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

A good choice, except I'd have to ask George to smoke her pipe outside ...

Who would I invite?
Michael Gambon certainly because he is a great fibber and an old rogue. (I can somehow relate to that)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-1602538,,00.html

Terry Jones, as he directed one of the best films (Life of Brian) and is stuffed full of history facts that surprise and amuse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Jones

Intellegent posh totty in the form of Princess Michael of Kent.
http://www.princemichael.org.uk/princess/

And to add spice and provocation, Germain Greer.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:54:00 AM  
Blogger Candy Froggie said...

can I join your table, sista?! I would luuuve to share a dinner with George Sand too!!! What a wunnnerful idea! I don't know know your other guest but I like surprises!
:-) **~~~**^***^* *

(noting down somewhere your idea for a next post!)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Miz P said...

I like your both your choices as well Jack and Candles. I think we should book a whole restaurant so we can wander from table to table. How cool would that be!!

Although I've never really been a huge fan of Germaine Greer, it would definately be interesting to see what she is like as a person relaxing and not a radical fighting for her cause - hopefully there would be a difference.

If not we can just sit her at Candles table next to Marquis de Creepy - he'll sort her out!

Saturday, June 10, 2006 8:49:00 PM  
Blogger Candy Froggie said...

LMAO Penny!!!
I'm with you on that!

Oh I LOVE your new stamp!!! (dancing around)
And I see someone very special is joining you in a couple of weeks! Yeepeeee! hehe
For how long will he stay around?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:44:00 PM  
Blogger Miz P said...

I'm thinking of changing the stamp - it makes me shiver every time I see it ( it's sooooooo "cool" here at the moment).

An yup someone *special* will be arriving in 13 sleeps!! *happy sigh*

The plan is that he will stay for a week but work committments have changed a little bit (just today boooo!) so it might mean he can only be here for the weekend. Never mind though....I will just have to make my visit Tas sooner than we planned :-)))) *^*^~*^*^*

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home