Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Yesterday was my last official day at the Special Ed Unit for a while...and it was just a little bit sad - I'm going miss it.

Only my last "official" day because eventhough I'm no longer allowed to say I work there, I still plan to pop in for a day now and then - just so I can keep my foot in the door and also, so I can grab some of the "warm & fuzzies" I get working....being with the *Treasures*.

For the last month, the days that I worked there have been spent mainly assisting the visually impaired Treasures - which has been an amazing experience - both workwise and personally. In learning how to best assist these young folk I've had to learn new skills in communicating and try and gain some kind of understanding of what their world is really like. On a personal level, it's given me the opportunity to see exactly how much we "visual" or even just normal healthy folk take for granted. A lot.

That's why I enjoy doing what I've been doing so much. It challenges me on so many levels, encouraging me to look beyond my own self and learn different ways of looking at and doing things. Not just in dealing with people with disabitlites but learning to understand more about myself as well as how I relate to people in general.

I've quite often said that I believe children are our best teachers - being a parent or being close to them is where we learn to really grow (for want of a better word). Being around children with disabilities is all that and more!

3 Comments:

Blogger Candy Froggie said...

it must have been such an experience...! I can just imagine a little, but I *feel* really what you're talking about.

Does this time spent there inspire you to find same kind of jobs later? Or you don't really think about "what next" right now?

Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:48:00 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

What's next, is whatevers next! You're doing just fine lil lady, just keep drinkin yer milk.

By the way, love this new word you've invented! 'disabitlites' hehe

Friday, June 02, 2006 3:24:00 AM  
Blogger Miz P said...

Candles: The work I've been doing is the job I want to keep doing once I can get back into it. Aside from all the new things I've learnt - it's a lot of fun and I get to do really cool stuff with the students in class.

I'm kinda learning (slowly hehe) not to think too much about "what next?" anymore - it seems work better that way. ;-)*^*^~*

Jack: So you like my new word huh?? Bloody cheeky Authors!! Picky-picky-picky! hehehe

Friday, June 02, 2006 12:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home