Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So, our lesson for today will be....

....it is best to not wear buckle-up platform shoes while driving a manually geared car. Simply because it's really-really difficult to take them off while driving. But with enough contortion and quick reflexes it can be done without too much woe.

My poor little car (The Beast) is sick....she's been off the road since just before Christmas and the mechanic has very rudely decided to be on his annual holidays until next Monday. Hmphh!

Enter Knight in Shining armour - my bro'. He's very graciously given me his van to use until The Beast is back on the road. The Beast is an automatic - which suits my lazy attitude toward driving. The van is not - which causes me a little grief at times. Like having to change gears 30 times in the short journey to the end of the street (maybe just a slight exageration but you get the gist).

All whining aside - I do actually enjoy driving the van . Sometimes, while I'm driving through boring suburbia, I imagine myself several years down the road when I've got my own van (fully decked out) and I'm heading off for a weekend of "exploring".

It's been a dream of mine that just doesn't seem to go away. Ever since I worked in a Roadhouse many years ago and one of our regular customers was an elderly woman traveller. She would camp over night parked safely nearby - first thing in the morning she would shower then come in with her mug and a tea-bag for some boiling water. Her van was her home and she spent her life travelling up and down the east coast of Australia....and she loved every moment of it.

I don't plan on being an elderly lady with no roots - I need a home. But I'd dearly love to just be able to jump in my own van and take off exploring the areas that have now been bypassed by our super-highways. There is something very liberating in the thought of being able to do that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mean Maude said...

Save me a seat in your van for your exploration trips, as long as you’re driving I will pump the petrol.
Or
Just stick me on a very large boat with cocktails and waiters and I will be only to happy to sit there and age gracefully.
One day when I'm rich I will get you that VW you have wanted.
:-D

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:46:00 PM  
Blogger Miz P said...

Seat saved!! Although, cocktails and waiters sounds pretty darn enticing too!!

Are they topless waiters??? ;-Þ

Annnnndddddd.....thank-you in advance for the VW Combi....can I have a pink one?? hehe

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Mean Maude said...

No problem, if I can't buy a pink one I will pull the spray can out and spray it pink for you.
Was that deep pink or light pink?
:oP~~~~

Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Candy Froggie said...

so we have the van, the boat -waiters included-, what could I add to these purrfect plans? ...

(thinkling hard)...(mind boiling)...oh!!! : camels and elephants -princes of the desert included-!!!! :P

Can't you see us ol' delicate ladies on a decadent trip in the deep sahara -mirages included-!

I'm sure camels can be confortable enough! no but really!

Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger Miz P said...

Actually I can see us exotic lil' wild flowers doing a desert trek when we are lil' old ladies!! All dressed in purple!!

I just had a mental image and we all looked like Miss Marples riding through the dunes sitting high on the backs of our camels (with waiters in white coats, holding silver trays of champagne & canapes, trotting obediently beside us!!).

I gotta get more sleep....or stop taking those hallucinogenic drugs! ;-) heheheh

Friday, January 06, 2006 12:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home